Thursday, December 20, 2012

SCROOGE, ALIVE AND LIVING IN CORPORATE AMERICA!


You could have called it a classically Dickens type of day. It was cold, with traces of snow in the grass and flurries swirling in the wind. I had just dropped off a Christmas present and mailed some cards. It seemed like the perfect day for some hot chocolate and a pastry so I walked over to my neighborhood Starbucks. As I approached the building I saw a big banner hanging over the windows. "OPEN ON CHRISTMAS DAY" was all it said but it instantly occurred to me that even Ebenezer Scrooge gave Bob Cratchit Christmas Day off. When I got home I did a little research and it appears that Scrooge is alive and well and living in corporate America. I worked for many years in retail and there use to be only three holidays that everyone got off, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter but apparently that's no longer the case. Is one more shopping day a year going to make that big of deal to a company's bottom line, or stock price, or a CEO's year end bonus?  I think it's time to start pushing back against companies that do this kind of stuff. What do you think? Would things like boycotts work?

No comments:

Post a Comment