Sunday, November 18, 2012

Nutzoids: An Introduction

Crusher - A Space Junk Recovery Vehicle


NUTZOIDS

  • Origin of the Species -  The Nutzoids are a satirical comic strip poking fun at conservative politicians, big corporations and the super hero genre. Way back in 1987 I took a cartooning class at a local community college and in the first class our assignment was to create a comic strip but as it turned out not enough people signed up for the class and it was cancelled. I went ahead and did the assignment anyway, creating the "Nutzoids." They are a group of super heroes built from recycled materials by the greedy Dr Strawberry.  I played with this strip over the years but finally stopped working on it.

     
  • Comic Books - Just last year, I took another cartooning class and brought the "Nutziods" back to life in a comic book. "Nutzoids:  Attack of the Dark Lord" is a super hero comic book mash up with the "Nutzoids" political gag strip I created years earlier but never published. The comic book’s working title was “The Nutzoids, Origin of the Species” which was later changed to “Attack of the Dark Lord.”
    "Attack of the Dark Lord" is an introduction to the Nutzoids and their creator the greedy Dr Strawberry. In it you get a glimpse into their creation story, special super abilities, interpersonal conflicts, quirky personalities, diabolical enemies and other aspects of their complex world. My original intent was to create an entertaining way of introducing readers to the back story for this unusual group of super heroes and set the stage for an on going comic strip “The Nutzoids”. After writing and laying out  "Nutzoids: Attack of the Dark Lord" I've come to feel that the comic book genre is the best format for their quirky satirical humor.
     
    "Nutzoids: Attack of the Dark Lord" is now ready for publication as an ebook and will be released shortly. I have decided to make this first Nutzoid comic book free as a way of introducing this odd ball group of super hero's to as many reader's as possible. It will be published in a DNL flip book version for Mac's and PC's as well as iPad and Kindle versions in due time. More information about this will be forthcoming in future posts.
    There will be more Nutzoid comic books coming. In fact, I've started a very rough draft of a second Nutzoid comic book under the working title "Nutzoids: The Atlas Code" but it's a long long long way from being published.

  • The Comic Strip - As I mentioned before, I believe that comic books are the best format for the Nutzoids but since it takes so long to produce a comic book I've decided to go ahead with the comic strip as a blog which will give me a chance to use the Nutzoids to comment on current affairs and  give readers a little taste of Nutzoid humor in between comic book releases. 

    In my next post I will present character sketches of the Nutzoids and their arch enemy the infamous "Dark Lord of the Senate." 

No comments:

Post a Comment